Saturday, September 27, 2008

Am I Getting Better?

OK, I have had my Canon EOS 40D since Christmas 2007, and I love it. I was just taking my pictures on "Dummy" Mode until recently.


If you did not know, I am a self taught photographer. I did graduate from Texas Tech with a Degree in Visual Art Studies. In other words, I became an art teacher. My emphasis was in ceramics. Weird. I never took any photography courses. Double Weird. I seriously had maybe two three hour classes on slide photography, and that was it.
The two photographs of Mason were some of my firsts. They were taken with my first Digital Canon. It was a gift for our wedding from Jason's parents. I am not sure what model it was, but I think it only had like 3 MP. I have come a long way since then.

Mason, June 23, 2005

Mason, October 28, 2005
So, I have slowly developed my photography skills in the past few years. I knew I could do better so I asked for a Canon Rebel for Christmas last year. Well, typical Jason went one better and got me the Canon EOS 40D. I thought my pictures were really awesome until I did a custom invitation for a friend of mine recently. I just did the invite and not the picture. I was totally blown away when I opened her son's picture for the invitation. It was awesome, and I was crushed. Why are my pictures not that good? I set out to learn more.

The Invitation

This is the picture that inspired me to do better. It was taken by another photographer who definitely knows her stuff.

I found a little tutorial on You Tube, I think, about my camera. It was by the really cool guy, Michael Andrew. He is an awesome photographer who has created several DVD's full of tutorials about photography. So, I bought his Canon 40 D Crash Course DVD. I have watched half of it and learned so much. He breaks it down so simple that even I can understand it. Thanks to his help I have ventured of the "Dummy" Mode into the "Creative" Modes on my camera.

Each photo shoot gets better, and it makes me so happy. I think the best advice I have gotten from him so far is to Edit as much in the Camera as possible. Funny thing, it works! I haven't had to Photoshop my last three shoots. I am so impressed. I definitely owe thanks to Michael Andrew.

I came home from a photo shoot last night and scanned through my photographs. I realized something is happening. I am getting the photography bug. The more photo shoots I do, the better I get, and I crave more. I think this is going to be a long term love affair for me. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for me.

0 comments: